Monday, April 1, 2019

Velleity and "The Almost Christian"



I follow Litographs on Facebook, and one of the things I enjoy most is the way they introduce the reader to unfamiliar or under-used words.  The above graphic is from their page, and I don't remember when it was the featured word of the day, but I remember thinking what a great word it would be to use in a sermon, so I downloaded the picture for future use.

So, velleity.  Isn't that a great word?  Doesn't it just smack you in the face with the way it perfectly expresses the half-hearted good intentions or desires we all have from time to time?  I don't know if it's a word John Wesley knew or employed in any of his writings, but I assure you he was familiar with the concept. 

In 1741, John Wesley preached a sermon at Oxford University that he called "The Almost Christian."  In it, he writes that the almost Christian is at least outwardly a good person, one who avoids obvious sins like adultery or taking the Lord's name in vain or gluttony.  Such a one, Wesley says, possesses "a form of godliness; of that godliness which is prescribed in the gospel of Christ; the having the outside of a real Christian. Accordingly, the almost Christian does nothing which the gospel forbids." The almost Christian is regular in worship and prayer and to doing good for other people.  Wesley says that a person who practices "this outward religion, has the form of godliness. There needs but one thing more in order to his being almost a Christian, and that is, sincerity." 

In contrast, the "altogether Christian" is filled with love, love of God and love of neighbor, and desires nothing but God.  One who is an "altogether Christian" is not merely outwardly good; she or he is inwardly changed and joyfully obedient to God because of that change.  Simply wanting to be a good person is not enough.  Wesley encourages the "almost Christian" to press on, to not give up or to settle for outward conformity to the things of God, using an expression that is a familiar one to us --

But, supposing you had, do good designs and good desires make a Christian? By no means, unless they are brought to good effect. "Hell is paved," saith one, "with good intentions." The great question of all, then, still remains. Is the love of God shed abroad in your heart? Can you cry out, "My God, and my All"? Do you desire nothing but him? Are you happy in God? Is he your glory, your delight, your crown of rejoicing? And is this commandment written in your heart, "That he who loveth God love his brother also"? Do you then love your neighbour as yourself? Do you love every man, even your enemies, even the enemies of God, as your own soul? as Christ loved you? Yea, dost thou believe that Christ loved thee, and gave himself for thee? Hast thou faith in his blood? Believest thou the Lamb of God hath taken away thy sins, and cast them as a stone into the depth of the sea? that he hath blotted out the handwriting that was against thee, taking it out of the way, nailing it to his cross? Hast thou indeed redemption through his blood, even the remission of thy sins? And doth his Spirit bear witness with thy spirit, that thou art a child of God?

John Wesley did not want anyone to be satisfied with velliety in her/his spiritual life.  He spent his entire ministry relentlessly urging everyone to give themselves completely to Christ. He pressed them to grow in grace and in so doing to be filled with the fullness of the Holy Spirit so that all those outward good actions would continue, but with a difference.  Now caring for neighbor would grow out of the reality of love, fired by the presence of the Spirit, rather than grim-faced duty; loving acts of mercy would be accompanied by a real and powerful change within.

I have days when I wonder if I am an "altogether Christian" or if I'm simply treading water, allowing myself to be satisfied with merely seeming to have a form of godliness rather than pressing on, giving myself wholeheartedly to Christ.  All through Lent this year, I have been disappointed in myself, feeling as if I haven't been living up to those good intentions I started out with on Ash Wednesday. 

And so, with John and in the words of Charles Wesley, I will continue to make these words my prayer to banish velleity from my Christian discipleship journey, and perhaps you will, too:

O what shall we do our Savior to love?
To make us anew, come, Lord, from above.
The fruit of Thy passion, Thy holiness give,
Give us the salvation of all that believe.

Pronounce the glad word, and bid us be free!
Ah! hast Thou not, Lord, a blessing for me?
The peace Thou hast given this moment impart,
And open Thy heaven of love in my heart.

Come, Jesus, and loose the stammerer’s tongue,
And teach even us the spiritual song;
Let us without ceasing give thanks for Thy grace,
And glory, and blessing, and honor, and praise.







2 comments:

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...