Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Hospitality and Welcome to All



John Wesley was a frequent communicant, and he encouraged the people called Methodists to receive the sacrament as often as possible, most notably in his sermon, "The Duty of Constant Communion." You can just imagine my delight at being able to receive communion not only on Friday at the usual New Room worship service but also on Sunday as one of those gathering for the Wesley Historical Society meeting.

Shortly before the service, I sat quietly in the Chapel, soaking in those Wesleyan vibes, if you will, and the Chaplain of the New Room, the Rev. David Weeks, came in to prepare the table. He looked up, smiled, and invited me to read the gospel during the upcoming service.  Of course I accepted. After all, I not only regularly read scripture in worship, I also lead prayers and preach.  I am, after all, an ordained United Methodist elder.

But then it suddenly hit me.  I was about to read the gospel lesson (Matthew 10: 40-42) in the world's oldest Methodist building.  I was about to help publicly lead worship in John Wesley's first chapel.  I got a lump in my throat and my eyes got misty, but when the time came, I was perfectly composed. David spoke about the importance of hospitality, referring to Jesus' words about welcoming others and giving them a cup of cold water.  I reflected on the many acts of hospitality I have experienced since coming to the UK, even though I am a stranger here.  And I thought about my country's history of welcoming the tired and poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free -- and I prayed that we, especially we Christians, will not lose sight of the importance of doing that, that we will not neglect the cup of cold water, the smile, the hand held out in love to those who find their way to us.

As I write this post, it is July 4, a day that symbolizes freedom and independence, and I cherish that. But it must be remembered that the principles of the Declaration of Independence as it appeared in 1776 were only seen to apply to a very small segment of the white male population who owned property and had a certain standing in the world.  Even now, to be female, to be non-white, to be somehow perceived as different is for many a stumbling block in the secular world and sadly, also in the world of the Church.  But when we come to this particular table, we are neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave nor free, nor any other kind of category.  Here, we are all one in Christ Jesus our Lord.  We are simply the children of God, those who are being saved by God's grace, blessed to be a blessing to others.

Just a thought on this 4th of July, as I sit at a desk in Manchester, England ....

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...