Monday, May 18, 2020

"A strange palpitation of heart"



This time of year, Methodists celebrate what is often called Aldersgate Day or more inclusively, Wesley Day. We remember the experience of assurance that both Wesley brothers received within three days of each other, but we sometimes brush aside Charles's encounter with the Holy, which occurred before John's better known moment of finding his heart strangely warmed. Let's take a closer look at just what happened to Charles Wesley, who had been unwell while in Georgia and was now recovering from pleurisy at the London home of a Mr. Bray, an uneducated but pious man. In his journal, Charles wrote: 

The Day of Pentecost. Sun., May 21st, 1738. I waked in hope and expectation of His coming. At nine my brother and some friends came, and sang a hymn to the Holy Ghost. My comfort and hope were hereby increased. In about half-an-hour they went: I betook myself to prayer; the substance as follows :-- "Oh Jesus, thou hast said, 'I will come unto you ; 'thou hast said, ' I will send the Comforter unto you ; thou hast said, 'My Father and I will come unto you, and make our abode with you.' Thou art God who canst not lie; I wholly rely upon thy most true promise: accomplish it in thy time and manner." 

Having said this, I was composing myself to sleep, in quietness and peace, when I heard one come in (Mrs. Musgrave, I thought, by the voice) and say, "In the name of Jesus of Nazareth, arise, and believe, and thou shalt be healed of all thy infirmities." I wondered how it should enter into her head to speak in that manner. The words struck me to the heart. I sighed, and said within myself, "O that Christ would but speak thus to me!"

 I lay musing and trembling: then thought "but what if it should be Him? I will send at least to see." I rang, and Mrs. Turner coming, I desired her to send up Mrs. Musgrave. She went down, and, returning, said, "Mrs. Musgrave had not been up here." My heart sank with me at the word, and I hope it might be Christ indeed. However, I sent her down again to inquire, and felt in the meantime a strange palpitation of heart. I said, yet feared to say, "I believe, I believe!"  She came up again and said, " It was I, a weak, sinful creature, spoke: but the words were Christ's: he commanded me to say them, and so constrained me that I could not forbear ... "


On Tuesday, May 23, feeling moved to commemorate this occasion, Charles wrote in his journal: 

I waked under the protection of Christ, and gave myself up, soul and body, to him. At nine I began an hymn upon my conversion, but was persuaded to break off, for fear of pride. Mr. Bray coming, encouraged me to proceed in spite of Satan. I prayed Christ to stand by me, and finished the hymn. Upon my afterwards showing it to Mr. Bray, the devil threw in a fiery dart, suggesting, that it was wrong, and I had displeased God. My heart sank within me; when, casting my eye upon a prayer book, I met with an answer for him ... Upon this, I clearly discerned it was a device of the enemy to keep back glory from God ... But God has showed me, he can defend me from it, while speaking for him.

While it is not certain which hymn Charles wrote upon this occasion, it has been suggested that it was "When shall my wondering soul begin?" or  "And can it be that I should gain."  Either way, it marked the beginning of an illustrious ministry of poetry which countless Christians have taken to heart and through which we have sung the faith "lustily and with good courage" for over 400 years.

However you choose to mark Wesley Day, you might consider praying or singing one of these lovely hymns, giving thanks to God for the example and encouragement of Mrs. Musgrave and Mr. Bray. Without their faithfulness and support, Charles might have abandoned hymnwriting. And the Church and the world would have been immeasurably the poorer for it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...