Tuesday, October 8, 2019

There Are Places I Remember


Lake Junaluska
If you, like me, are a Beatles fan, you saw the title of this post and immediately acquired an earworm: 

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some are gone, and some remain

The song goes on to say that each of these places call to mind particular friends and lovers but assures the listener that "in my life, I love you more." (Now I know you just sang in your best falsetto along with John Lennon -- "in myyyyy life!")

There are places that stick in our memories, places that bring back specific joys or griefs, places that call to mind particular people, places that leave an imprint not only on the mind but also on the soul, places that become "our" places sometimes for reasons we can barely understand or articulate.  I'm fortunate enough to have visited two of those places within the span of a few months:  Iona and Lake Junaluska.  Iona has certainly had its mention in earlier posts, and I have also talked about Junaluska a time or two, so I doubt anyone who knows me is surprised by this.  No doubt, I'll continue to write about them in the future!

For United Methodists in the Southeastern Jurisdiction, Lake Junaluska is a little bit of heaven tucked into the corner of Haywood County, North Carolina.  Perhaps not coincidentally, the area resembles Scotland's highlands and islands a bit with its beautiful lake, ancient rocks and mountains, and the (usually) crisp, cool air.  Because of its historical importance and close ties to the SEJ, and the fact that the World Methodist Museum is located here, it's not surprising that a lot of Methodist pastors and leaders retire here. 

I'm here this week volunteering at the World Methodist Museum in the hopes that I can help them with some of their restructuring of exhibits and creating text to accompany them.  My interest in early Methodism, especially the various roles taken by women in the movement, will be useful as we look at the relevant displays and envision ways to tell the story more expansively.  As I have explored the museum and spent time drinking in the outdoor beauty of the area, I have posted some pictures on Facebook, which has elicited some interesting comments and conversations about the places which have been the sites of challenge and commitment and peace and healing for some of my friends.  These are what the Celts called "thin places" where the line between the everyday physical world and the invisible spirit world (not that there truly is a dichotomy) becomes very thin and indeed may disappear altogether.
Lake Junaluska

John Wesley traveled extensively in the British Isles and Ireland and even had the experience of living in Georgia for a short time.  In his journal, he often records his impressions of his surroundings.  On July 3, 1788 he was back in his home county of Lincolnshire and visited his friend Robert Carr Brackenbury to preach in the little chapel above the stables at his home.  Wesley writes:

We went to Raithby: an earthly paradise! How gladly would I rest here a few days; but it is not my place! I am to be a wanderer upon earth. Only let me find rest in a better world!
At six I preached in the church to such a congregation as I never saw here before; but I do not wonder if all the country should flock in thither, to a palace in the midst of paradise.

I visited Raithby two years ago when I was on sabbatical, and it is indeed a lovely chapel set in a quiet village on the beautiful grounds of Raithby Hall, and it was like going back in time to stand in the pulpit of that Grade I listed building.   It had a peaceful atmosphere, but I probably wouldn't have called it "a palace in the midst of paradise." I wonder what it was that made Wesley gush -- this is not his usual type of description of a particular location.  Apparently for him it was one of those special places that he would always remember with particular fondness.  Perhaps he had a feeling of belonging when he visited there that he didn't often experience elsewhere.  Impossible to say, of course, but having been drawn to my own versions of paradise, I think I'm on to something.
Raithby by Spilsby
If you think about it, there are probably significant locales that are special to you for similar reasons.  Perhaps you felt a sense of God's nearness in a new way there.  It might have been where you began to heal from a major disappointment or grief.  Maybe it was the arena where brand new ideas were presented, resulting in a change in your life.  It could be beyond the power of words to explain -- you just know it is "your place."

I invite you to take a few moments to call to mind one of those holy spots.  You might want to sit with your eyes closed, visualizing it, or you may have a picture you'd like to look at.  Either way, take time to give thanks to God for that place and for the memories that it brings up.  Ask for it to continue to be a reminder of grace in your life, as you feel the Holy Spirit at work within your heart. 

There are places I remember ...








1 comment:

  1. Oh yes. For me one of those places is Hinton Rural Life Center. My three summers there had a profound impact on me in so many ways. It was the first time I drove to a new place and didn’t get lost. Instead of wandering, I drove straight to it and always felt I knew my way around the area. Even more importantly I heard God’s voice clearly there. I am blessed to have shared it with Rob and Anna and youth from my church as well. Thank you for the invitation to remember.

    ReplyDelete

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...