Monday, March 12, 2018

Lenten Journey

We are a bit more than halfway through Lent, and I haven't written anything in this blog for ages.  I suppose I should have made that part of my discipline for the season.  Nevertheless, regardless of whether I have kept up with this or not, I've been quite engrossed in a number of online devotional activities, and the picture above is part of one.  

Every day, we receive a word for which we are meant to post a picture, one we ourselves have taken as opposed to some professional shot we found on the internet. The very first word was "fast," and I wracked my brain to think of the appropriate picture.  Then I thought of its opposite with its near twin spelling, "feast." I took my NC pottery chalice and paten, placed them on the hardwood floor, and added a black and white filter to produce a dark image of light and shadow. I hoped to convey the tension between the idea of fasting and prayer during Lent by photographing the symbol of the feast we share at Christ's table in the stark absence of color.  It occurred to me that we can only truly appreciate the wonder and bounty of a banquet when we have first experienced its lack and deprivation.  

When you look at this picture, what do YOU see?  How have YOU kept a solemn observance of this church season that prepares us for the abundant life of Easter by taking us through the somber realization of death and sin?  May your pondering and prayer bear much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...