Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Through Cloud and Sunshine




Last night at 9 pm, I made my way down to the Episcopal retreat center on Iona, known as the Bishop's House.  You never know who or how many people will show up for services; for the past few nights, there have been several monks, myself, and one or two others.  But last night, there were only four of us -- me and three monks.  I wondered what the hymn of the evening would be and how we would sound, but to my delight, it was "Abide With Me."  In that small but acoustically perfect worship space, our voices blended and harmonized, and there was a holy hush as the final notes died away.  As I walked towards my accommodations afterwards, I took a couple of pictures to symbolize the Holy Presence that is constantly there with us through cloud and sunshine, the Light of Light that shines through the gloom and points us to the skies.

At the close of day today, may you find a quiet moment to acknowledge God's constant love, perhaps by stopping to notice the quality of the light as darkness deepens in the sky above you or perhaps by regarding the photographs in this post. Either way, may you know yourself to be more than conqueror, even over death, through the One who constantly abides with you and me.

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see—
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour;
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness;
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies;
Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me. ~ Henry Francis Lyte




No comments:

Post a Comment

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...