Tuesday, June 6, 2017

2 days after Pentecost

Where shall my wondering soul begin?
How shall I all to heaven aspire?
A slave redeemed from death and sin,
A brand plucked from eternal fire,
How shall I equal triumphs raise,                                      
Or sing my great Deliverer’s praise?

O how shall I the goodness tell,
Father, which Thou to me hast showed?
That I, a child of wrath and hell,
I should be called a child of God,
Should know, should feel my sins forgiven,
Blessed with this antepast of Heaven!

And shall I slight my Father’s love?
Or basely fear His gifts to own?
Unmindful of His favors prove?
Shall I, the hallowed cross to shun,
Refuse His righteousness to impart,
By hiding it within my heart?

 ~ Charles Wesley



                                stained glass window of Charles Wesley
                         Memorial Chapel, Lake Junaluska, North Carolina

It is believed that these are a few of the verses of the hymn Charles Wesley composed shortly after his "conversion" experience of May 21, 1738 when he truly felt that he was saved by faith in Christ alone, saying, "I believe, I believe!"  The language may seem quaint to us in the 21st century, but there is no doubt that Charles Wesley was inspired by the Holy Spirit to praise God for this gift of assurance of pardon for his sins and for the grace of this "antepast" or appetizer of the heavenly feast to come.

He was apparently reluctant to continue working on the hymn for a short time, thinking he might be exhibiting pride in setting his thoughts to paper. Fortunately, after praying and talking it over with Mr. Bray, a trusted Christian friend, he discerned that this fear was a "fiery dart" thrown at him by the devil (as he says in his journal), and he was able to feel joyful, knowing that he was honoring Christ with his words rather than seeking praise for himself and his gift of poetry.

Charles Wesley felt that sometimes we hold ourselves back from speaking or otherwise witnessing to the gospel because we are tempted by the Evil One to a sort of false humility that leads us to remain silent when we should express joy, praise, honor, and glory to God.  This made me stop and ponder my own life, and perhaps you might examine yours as well. When am I guilty of this kind of sin of omission?  Am I grieving the Holy Spirit by not being more attentive to opportunities to share God's grace with others in my everyday life?  How might I be more open to the Spirit's leading? 

As I embark on my sabbatical, my prayer is that God will open my heart and my eyes so that I may more fully walk as Christ walked and love as Christ loved, as I am wooed and transformed by the Spirit.  And that is my prayer for you, as well!

1 comment:

  1. I truly pray that you are Blessed in the full assurance that the Holy Spirit is with you as you walk with seek Christ along the shores of the islands you visit ❤

    ReplyDelete

New Site for Blog

 To continue receiving my blog posts in your email, go to revdlf.wixsite.com/travelswithwesley and sign up to subscribe.  My latest post, ju...